Wednesday 11 December 2013

BOM 2014


 Announcing

BOM 2014 @Quilt Art Designs


                    Here’s how it’s going to work.

On the first of each month (starting January 1st, 2014), I will post here on my blog about one of the patterns, and list the pattern as a freebie in my Craftsy Shop. It will be free for the duration of the month – after which it’ll have to earn its keep and will be available for a small fee. Then the next one will be available as a freebie!

We will work through the patterns going from the easiest and working up to the hardest towards the end of the year. Hopefully that will help those who are new to paper piecing to get the hang of it and gain their confidence to tackle some of the tougher blocks later! Nothing imposible though! - Don't get scared on me now!

Here are a few blocks that I have in mind for the garden. Tulips, a fish-bowl and a humming bird.



You can also add your finished blocks to the QADesigns Flickr Group as another way to share what you’ve been making! (That goes for any blocks made with QADesigns patterns for that matter... )

That will take us through to October. The months February and August will have 2 blocks and then we will be finishing up the blocks and making them into projects ready to share for a big Show and Tell at the end of November!



The Theme of our BOM Quilt will be

"In the Garden" and will feature 12 cute furry animals, flowers, birds, etc. Anything that could be hiding around or under some leafy patch in the garden.
I even found a layout that I like where all 12 blocks will sit quite comfortably.

The blocks will each measure 12" (30cm) and will be from easy to intermediate level. Each block will be shown in photo tutorial each month - how I put them together and everything you will need to follow along. Finished quilt will measure approx.  60" (150cm).

 The colour scheme will be anything 'earthy and bright' and if you think of your garden in spring and summer and the colours you see then, that should be a good guide. You can of course use any colours you like.The layout that I've chosen has strips of green that represent the lawn areas of the garden. 

So now you can start thinking about fabric choices! Now I know the big question is always… how much fabric?!  This is always the toughest question as people use different amounts of fabric. I tend to use scraps where I can, or large chunks of fabric (I don’t cut mine to size). Roughly though, a fat quarter of background fabric will be more than sufficient for each block (with leftover scraps for more paper piecing!).  Hopefully that’s a helpful starting point at least!

I hope you’re as excited about it as I am! Please let me know any questions that you might have! And please feel free to tell your friends, grab a button and pop it on your blog, or pin photos of the BoM blocks to the Flickr group. I would love if you could help me spread the word!

  I'm looking forward to sewing along with you next year!








4 comments:

Rosa said...

Your Garden BOM blocks are awesome.I`ll try to join!!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

wow! your BOM looks like lots of fun. I love that hummingbird!

Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

andrea said...

Oh! I love it!! thanks a lot!!

andreapc3@gmail.com

anabel said...

el tema es precioso, el día a día de la naturaleza . Gracias!
anabelpdc@gmail.com